Tuesday, September 9, 2008

When You Leave a Comment, Do You Know What It Means?

I am a freelance content contributor. I don't know if this qualifies me as a writer, since I haven't had a book published yet! Anyone can be a writer nowadays, so I have to say I'm a content contributor, which suits me better!


Thanks for Sharing!

I write because I love writing, but as far as sharing, I'm not sure! Am I writing it to share? Am I sharing it because I have it published?

I have received many comments such as this: "Nice one, thanks for sharing", and each time I read it, it ticks me off a bit. Really, am I sharing my poem or article with the world? Or is it because I just want to have something published?


When you read an article, what is your impression? Is it good? Or is it bad? What does it make you feel? Do you like it? Can you relate to it? Do you understand what it is? Do you get something out of it, such as learning a new thing, feel a feeling, entertain by it, or curse it? Say it then! Comment on how a particular piece makes you feel. Not just "thanks for sharing!"

Thanks for the Research!

This sentence "thanks for doing the research" always makes me laugh! I didn't do it for you, so you really don't have to thanks me for doing it. If I do it, it has to intrigue me in some ways. So most likely, it is for me!

Often, I didn't do research. Materials happen to just landed on my laps, literally. I read them, and put them into an article that I could understand. Sometimes, I have to do a bit of digging (researching) to make my point. Anyway, if I do research, it is so, because I want it.

So if you already take time to leave a comment, why not make it useful to the writer. I must admit, I'm the worst "commenter" on the planet. I do not like distasteful comments, or discouraging in any ways, therefore, my "great article, great one, beautiful poem, nice poem" must change soon.

I won't ever say "Thanks for sharing" or "Thanks for the research" unless I want to make a point by leaving the same comment every time! It is pointless to say. It is also cold! It gives me the feeling that the commenter didn't really read it, they just scan through it, and at the end they don't know what to comment on...

Type in "Thanks for sharing" or "Thanks for the research" is a safe bet. It lets the writer know you were there, and need to return a favor.


 

4 comments:

  1. No thanks for sharing Icy :) but you already got the pulse. People leave that kinda comment simply because either they just comment to show you their presence or may be they straightaway clicked on 'comments'. The main problem with that kinda people is the lack of sense & sensibility. May be, due to the lack of this element, they do not understand that something is written beyond those words. One word for them.. 'ignore''

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bali, you make me laugh, and agree with you whole-heartedly about sense and sensibility!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes when I read an article, I can clearly see that the writer must have had to do a lot of research to put it all together.

    I notice that some writers on a particular writing website, merely copy and paste pictures which already exist in another article. All they basically do, is change the name of the article and reproduce it.

    I like to mention the research so that the writer can know that I appreciate and noticed all the work they put in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anne for your comment!

    That's just my 2 cents! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I will visit you as soon as I can, promise..

Stop by my other blogs:

Pragmatic Soul
Beyond Wandering
Beyond Zephyr



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Provide useful, entertaining, and educational information on a wide range of subjects.

Total Pageviews

Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover