Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wishful Thinking!

The first line in this video had a special meaning to me, because that was how I used to think. I didn't want to be a girl, female, or women as each stage reached my life.




"I never wanted to be a girl, the way a girl supposed to be..." I remember writing this very thought to an older friend, and expressed my wish to be a boy! In return, he wrote: "Just be a girl, natural, and pretty as a girl!"

With that one sentence, he comforted me and helped me to accept my role as a girl. Note, I didn't want to have a sex change, I wanted to born as a boy, not a transsexual figure. A real natural boy!

Why was it that I detested my gender? What was it that being a girl so awful in my thought?

There are many possible reasons, and physically, these are what girls do in my time:

  • Clean up the house
  • Cook
  • Wash dishes
  • Wash the clothes
  • Go to the market
  • Babysitting
  • Plant flowers and vegetables
  • Feed the animals
  • Water the garden
  • Take care of a sick member of the family
When I was younger, I saw the boys having so much freedom, and realized the unfairness in this world. Just because they are boys, they didn't have to do a thing! All they do were: sleep, eat, and either study or work! While girls virtually do everything boys do and ten times more!

On the Emotional and Mental Notes, Girls Are:
  • Sensitive
  • Tears easily
  • Keep to themselves
  • Fragile
  • Have less freedom to express
Although modern men have been sharing the daily work chores with raising children, and household responsibilities, women are still in charge of most duties.

I have lots of respect for women, and I no longer wish to be a boy! Watching this video, I can relate to their feelings. It is hard to be a girl, especially in countries where women have no voice. Through life experiences, I am more comfortable in my own skin.

Why did I ever have that thought? What was I thinking? Was it just a wishful thinking? Have you ever wish to be a different person?


 

6 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, I was a tomboy. I climbed trees, played baseball, and was and still is a girl/woman.

    For me, it wasn't about wanting to be a "boy" so to speak, but I wanted the freedom and the choices they had and still do have.

    I think that when I felt this I was coming into my own. I was starting to form an identity, not that of feminism, but just noticing things that were different between men and women.

    Boys staying out later because they are boys, girls can't because it is not safe. I started to realize that I could have those same equal rights as a boy and became very indepedent and raised my daughters that way, too.

    For me, at one time, I wanted to be a boy, but then again for me it was more about their opportunities and the fact that they didn't have to set the table, wash the dishes, and dress up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, we both saw the freedom boys have then..It's good to know I wasn't the only one! Thanks Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved being a girl. I just wished I was born into a different family (you know why).

    Like you, I'm happy with who I am now. I have grown to realise that the person I am now, was shaped by all that stuff in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for introducing me to this movie. I have always loved being a girl. As a girl, however, I didn’t realize women had to be everything to everyone. I also didn’t realize how tiring it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne,

    You're so right, we was shaped by what happened to us in the past. I believe in this concept totally! Thanks for visiting!

    Stacey,

    Women's roles and duties are endless! Not to mention the pain and ache of just being a woman! Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sure, but we grow old and wise, and then we become accepting of who we are. it's the only way to function. otherwise, we can never learn to love - ourselves or others.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I will visit you as soon as I can, promise..

Stop by my other blogs:

Pragmatic Soul
Beyond Wandering
Beyond Zephyr



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Provide useful, entertaining, and educational information on a wide range of subjects.

Total Pageviews

Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover