Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Turn Your Bad Pictures Into an Art Piece

Have you been disappointed on how certain pictures turned out? Well, I have, hundreds of times! For one flower, I take anywhere from five to 10 shots each just to make sure at least one of them will turn out decent.

I'm obsessed with the idea that a picture should worth "a thousand words", or convey a strong feeling such as "wow, breathless, beautiful, etc.." when a person sees it. I know I am just an amateur, but setting high standard gives me a push to try to do my best.

I used to delete many bad pictures, and still do, but keep a few to play around with, especially with flowers! I now turn my bad pictures into an art piece!

Below are two examples of my experiment with photo software!




This is the original and blurry picture of a flower that I took at Belle Isle. I only have two pictures of this flower since I was rushed by the children to move on. Both turned out bad!

However, the whole frame of this flower looks pretty, so I decided to fool around in my photo software, and this is how it looks after the many effects applied.


In this picture, I applied "flower" texture, pastel filter, adding different thickness of brush strokes, changing the contrast, and brightness until my original photo turns into an art piece!


This picture is from a different shot of the same flower at another angle, but it turned out blurry also. I applied "oil painting" filter, and "contrast enhancement" to it many times until I am happy with the result.

If you want to have fun with your photos, you can find free photo software on this wonderful article 10 Free Web-based Alternatives to Photoshop. Check out and see which software is good for you since we all have different needs. Don't forget to read the comment section, since you can find more suggestions from their readers. If you want to know, I'm using Photoscape!

For all my regular photo posts, I only add my name, and keep all the pictures in their original form.



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having fun with photo editing. I love the one with oil painting filter and contrast enhancement, especially when I click the picture to enlarge it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Icy, I have that problem all the time with photos coming out too blurry and I just delete them. I normally always keep my photos natural with no enhancing though I sometimes use a focus filter. These came out great though. I am going to try that with my blurry photos from now on and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for the info Icy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I have lots of bad pictures, and like you, usually take a bunch of one item to get one good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea, Icy. I think that you have a fantastic eye for pictures anyway, and now even your 'bad' ones are good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I have recently begun using photoshop for some of my pictures and its a lot of fun. There are so many different things you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Icy, those pictures truly are works of art now. I love them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, would love to try that Icy as i have a lot of bad photos too.

    btw, how do you put your name in the photo. i always use paint but would like to try how you do it. very creative. :)

    love your art pieces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everyone,

    Thank you for taking the time to leave comments!

    Cher,

    I use "Text" in the software to type in my name, and move it where I want it to be..

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, i would like to learn this technique too Icy, wow, i wish i can do this too.

    you really made it into an art piece. excellent

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been a really long time since I used any of the photo software, it does look like fun. Maybe this winter when all my creatures and flowers are deep in snow.

    I like the picture you created, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello Icy! ;)

    Maricar here, thanks for sharing us infos about photoshop, i am using photobuckets for my photos and i find it good, but when i read your entry about photoshop and saw your pics, maybe i can try it for my photos.

    Thank You again Icy BC for following my blog and leaving comments in my entry in Salitype ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting. Many times my photos are a bit blah. I have never experimented much with photo software. Maybe it's time for me to start :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I will visit you as soon as I can, promise..

Stop by my other blogs:

Pragmatic Soul
Beyond Wandering
Beyond Zephyr



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Provide useful, entertaining, and educational information on a wide range of subjects.

Total Pageviews

Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover