Thursday, April 8, 2010

Reading Materials For Writers

Soccer season is back in full swing, and I find myself happily bury my face in the books. Yes, the actual paper and hard cover! There is nothing like the feel of flipping papers between my fingers. The smell of old book and new book is somewhat wake up the senses in me too.

Let me introduce you two books that I am currently reading, and like my smart little boy said, "Reading is Learning." Talking about this, JoJo won design a bookmark contest at our local library. He came in second for 3rd-6th grade and earned himself a $25 gift card at Barnes and Noble two years ago.


Now on with the books!

The Writer's Idea Book by Jack Heffron


The author provides more than 400 prompts to sharpen your skills in developing ideas for fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenplays. There are four parts in this book, and each part breaks down to the essential of writing, such as making a schedule to write at a regular time everyday. Each section in the chapter provides you a prompt to practice.

Since this is on a loan from the library, I have to quickly absorb what I can and return the book, but I am planning on purchasing it soon. It is a great companionship for when my mind is blocked.

The Writing On My Forehead by Nafisa Haji


As you can see, this book is not exactly the guide for writers who look to develop their writing skills, but it is actually a novel, beautifully written. The first chapter will draw you right in and grab you without hesitation.

Here is an example of the opening: "I close my eyes and imagine the touch of my mother's hand on my forehead, smoothing away the residue of childhood nightmares. Her finger moves across my forehead, tracing letters and words of prayer that I never understood, never wanted to understand, her mouth whispering in nearly silent accompaniment..."

When I read something as beautiful as this, my mind is free and my imagination enriched. If there is any book you want to read, I recommend these two for the month. After all, writing and reading go hand in hand.



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like really enriching and encouraging books. Thanks for the heads-up, Icy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoJo designed that bookmark? You have a very talented son Icy.

    Both of the books sound great. I really should get back to writing, it has been a long time since I did any real pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bookmark your son made. An the second books looks like it's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that your son won the contest and won the gift card. Thanks for the suggestions on the books. I love to read too. I have so many books that I could open up my own library if I wanted to do it. LOL! I still add on to my collection even though I have a lot of books already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, thanks for the book ideas. Your son is talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jo-Jo, congrats on the win! Not bad eh for simple stuff? Keep it up my dear...thanks for the info Icy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will absolutely check these out. And I agree with you, there is nothing like the feel and smell of a book in your hand. My namesake, JoJo is quite talented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thanks for sharing these books they seem to be a real nice read. I will check them out soon. Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Icy, you are so right (as usual). Reading and writing go hand in hand. Thanks for the titles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I will visit you as soon as I can, promise..

Stop by my other blogs:

Pragmatic Soul
Beyond Wandering
Beyond Zephyr



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Provide useful, entertaining, and educational information on a wide range of subjects.

Total Pageviews

Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover